Monday, January 20, 2014

Covers: I Fantastici Quattro #1



In 1971 Editoriale Corno started to publish the Italian edition of Fantastic Four. The covers, as well as the internal pages, were recolored. I am not sure why but it seems likely that Marvel Comics would send to foreign publishers only the b/w films. However sometimes the cover here in Italy was completely different. Maybe Marvel lost the original cover, or maybe for some reason Editoriale Corno did not consider it suitable to be printed. Whatever the case, the first issue of I Fantastici Quattro did not have the (by now) familiar cover of FF #1. but a weird drawing instead





Back then, when I was a kid, I always wondered why the first issue, unlike all the subsequent issues, did not have a picture of the battle with the villain on the cover. Furthermore, the characters on the cover appeared to have been drawn differently than from the story inside, the Thing and the Human Torch especially. Why?

Many years later I saw, for the first time, the cover of the original Fantastic Four #1 and to my amazement it was not the familiar drawing with the four characters. Where was that drawing coming from?

Only a few years ago I discovered that it was based on a drawing Jack Kirby prepared for a T-shirt (circa 1965)




Here you can see the b/w art printed on the Jack Kirby Collector (subscribe to it if you like Kirby)



More covers strangeness to come…

Dario Bressanini

No comments:

Post a Comment